Sunday, June 23, 2013

"That's So Heterosexual!"

I've realized that the majority of the words we use on an everyday basis have become so screwed up. We use terms referring to mental illnesses or handicaps, like "psychopath" and "retard" and things like "I'm totally raping you right now," and even "That's so gay," and it's all become so normal and practically okay. But the thing is, by using these slurs in every day conversation, we're promoting the dismissal of these types of people as less than human, like they aren't good enough to even be referred to as just as human as the rest of us. We are using these words as labels for things we don't like, for things we find derogatory or not normal. What we forget to realize when we use these words are that they aren't supposed to mean the things we are using them for. "Gay" shouldn't mean cowardly or bad, "retarded" shouldn't mean stupid, and using the term "rape" to talk about being victorious over someone else is just on another level of wrong. It's hard to understand how these terms might be offensive if you're not gay, not mentally handicapped, and have never been raped. I, myself, do not fall under any of these categories, and I risk sounding ignorant by saying these things. But I feel that it should stem from basic human compassion to realize that these adjectives shouldn't be used for anything other than what they were intended for. To further prove my point, check out this short film I found a while ago on Tumblr, in which the homosexual/heterosexual situations are reversed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment