Friday, September 4, 2015

Craziness in Multitudes

Do you know what one of the craziest things ever is? The fact that you can know someone for only 2 weeks, and feel as if you've known them forever. That is currently what I am experiencing here at college. I live in the smallest dorm on campus, the entire building holding less than 60 people. That means that I know at least half of those people better than I would've in any other instance in my life. I have friends that I've only known existed since August 21st. That's insane to me, the more I think about it.

You know what else is weird? I know how to do laundry now. And decide when I eat my meals. And get myself to and from where I need to be all on my own time. I became a quasi-adult without even realizing it. I kind of like it but I also kind of wish my parents were still around to do the adult-ing for me. It exhausts me if I think about it too much, and I haven't even been doing it that long.

I feel like college isn't so much a process you get used to but an experience that you jump into headfirst, in which you do what you're supposed to do as you are simultaneously learning what it is that you're supposed to be doing. Sometimes it's lonely, and sometimes it's hectic, and sometimes it's overwhelming. Sometimes all I want is to go home and sit between my parents and never leave. But at the same time, I'm surrounded by strangers that are all desperately trying to be friends with each other and it works, weirdly enough. My dorm room feels comfortable already (despite the lack of A.C. and that it's hot as balls outside), my hallmates feel familiar, and my classes have become routine. I never thought I was capable of getting used to something so totally different than anything I've ever done before, but from what I'm learning, college is a place where you learn you're capable of way more than you could've ever imagined.

Here's a song that pretty accurately sums up how I feel when I get a little too anxious about the fact that I'm part of the "real world" now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment