Thursday, December 31, 2015

New Year's Eve is For Sequin Sweatpants

Let me preface this by saying I've always kind of loathed New Year's. I never saw the sense in celebrating the end of something good in favor of welcoming something unknown. The older I get the more I realize the allure is more about an excuse to wear outrageous amounts of glitter and drink fizzy things from fancy cups.I hate sentimentality when it means change, because change is one of the things I hate the most. However, I think this year is an important enough year to reflect on, for a lot of reasons. I want to keep this a relatively short piece, though, given that we've all got things to do for New Year's Eve, and not a whole lot of time to dedicate to some dumb 19-year-old's blog. So, on with it then.

2015 was probably one of the weirdest years of my entire life. Don't get me wrong, I loved nearly all of it, but I've never experienced a year like this before, and I probably won't ever again. This year, I graduated high school, said goodbye to my best friend who went from across the street to across the country, left my academic responsibilities behind for a summer for the first time, and started a little thing called college. Not to be presumptuous or anything, but I always kind of knew stuff like this was going to happen in my life. I just never anticipated what it was actually going to be like. You know, in real life instead of in my imagination.

While I knew some parts of this year were going to be sad, like saying goodbye to my childhood friends and letting go of being at the top of the academic food chain that I had waited 12 long years to get to, I also knew that new and equally great things were to come. After a little bit of a rough adjustment, college started to become what I'd always hoped it would be - this independent oasis of a place where you could finally, finally decide what was important enough to dedicate all your time towards. It was amazing. Not to mention all the crazy antics and dumb stuff my new friends and I found time to get into. Senior year was by far my favorite academic year of my entire public school experience, but now that I've started college, I have high hopes for the future.

I don't think I'll ever like New Year's, or change, but I think I'm getting better at looking towards the positive side of things. I think the sweatpants I'm wearing that are entirely covered in sequins may have something to do with this change in attitude, but I'd like to think being 19 has made me a little less shallow than that. (But let's be real, sequins solve most of my problems.)

P.S. Happy New Year, you sparkly, fizzy weirdos. :) <3
The sequin pants in question 

No comments:

Post a Comment